Readings due before class on Tuesday, October 17, 2017
- Chapter 10 in Alberto Cairo, The Truthful ArtAlberto Cairo, The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication (Berkeley, California: New Riders, 2016).
- Why all world maps are wrong
- Map projections
- Gall-Peters Projection
- When Maps Lie
- These Twisted Maps Prove That America Isn’t a Red Country
- How children lost the right to roam in four generationsDaily Mail warning, though.
Questions to reflect on
- How can you know if a map projection is truthful or misleading?
- What’s wrong (or not wrong) with using points on maps? Choropleths? Lines?